Monday, August 13, 2012

Remembering Spain


"...no hay en la vida nada como la pena de ser ciego en Granada"

The Galician word morriña describes a deep sense of nostalgic longing. It often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return. 

As you may know if you have been keeping up with my blog, I have been feeling this state of nostalgia ever since I left Spain two months ago. Some days I'm very sad, because I know that it may be a long time before I get there again.  I want to cry knowing that my chances of ever living there again are very slim. Other days are better, and I smile at all of my happy memories. 

Today was one of those days.

 I read a blog* entry that really resonated with me. Do you ever have those moments, when you read someone else's words and think, "Wow, was this person inside my head?" I have had many of those during my time exploring the expat blogosphere, but never had a moment as powerful as when I read this:

"I don't think about Spain constantly, but I constantly get reminders of it. They come in whiffs of  laundry detergent, in seeing European products at the grocery store, in eating imported Manchego cheese or drinking imported Rioja wine, in listening to and singing along with Spanish music. These small, seemingly insignificant moments are significant for me-- they are reminders of wonderful memories. And they take me back, even if just for a few seconds, to where I'm pretty sure a part of my heart will always reside"

I very nearly cried while reading this paragraph. How true it is! I don't think my heart will ever not ache for Spain. But I know that, no matter where I go, no matter what I do, Spain will always be with me.

Te echo de menos, Espain.




*Rachael was a Language Assistant in Sevilla this year, and the year before she was in Toledo. I really enjoyed following her blog; she is a very talented writer and I hope that she continues to update "Rachael Back in Spain", although she is now back stateside. Check out her blog! 

1 comment:

  1. What kind words! And thanks for the link! I'm glad the post resonated with you! It's just as fulfilling to know that somebody else can relate to something you've written!
    Never heard the word morriña before, but the feeling is all too familiar!

    ReplyDelete